Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Something's Gotta Give

May is such a busy month. So many things are coming to a close. There are gifts to be bought; cards to be written, food items taken here and there, end of year parties, chapels, field day, field trips... it leaves me wanting to shout, "Mayday! Mayday!" here and there. Can I get a "Whoop whoop?"

As much as I try to intentionally plan for this time of year; it always seems to sneak up on me almost to the point of overwhelming me. In truth; I am over committed. I haven't left adequate room for the "unexpecteds" in life or for the "extras" that often happen. Yet I'm so close to the end it doesn't seem reasonable to "drop" any of my commitments.

So...something's gotta give.

My house keeping, my blog, my sanity...o.k., sanity is still intact even if my house is a direct reflection of the tornado happening within. I know it is but a brief season; so I press on trying to make sure everyone has food, clean underwear, and knows that they are loved.

I almost didn't post all of that...sounds like I'm venting to you all right?! In a way, I am. But when I took some pause this morning to set my priorities and seek God's face and word for strength for this day it hit me. I am not alone. We all go through times like this - even if May is not your "Mayday!" We all have moments when "Something's gotta give."

I have been reminded that my days are so very much better when I make time to spend in God's Word. When I am overwhelmed; there is a rock that is higher than I and His strength is sufficient. Things don't always have to be perfect. He will perfect that which concerns me.

So if you are yelling, "Mayday!" today in your mind (even if not out loud); this post is for you!

Psalm 61:2 "From the end of the earth I will cry to You, When my heart is overwhelmed; Lead me to the rock that is higher than I."


2 Corinthians 12:9 "But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me."


Psalm 138:8 "The LORD will fulfill his purpose for me; your love, O LORD, endures forever— do not abandon the works of your hands."

By the way; if you know me in real life and happen to come over to my house right now...I would so appreciate, "Grace, Grace, Grace!" (Especially because Littlest One has chosen to discover the potty in the midst of my "Mayday!" I'm so proud of him; but you might want to check the seat!" ;)

Blessings!

Shanda

15 comments:

Sue said...

Oh Shanda... I give all you Moms out there a whole whack of credit! I have those "Mayday" times and I don't even have half the responsibilities you all have!

I'm glad that taking that time to spend with Jesus calmed some of the whirlwind you feel inside. He truly is the One to go to in times of overwhelm.

Hang in there and try & squeeze in things that will fill your tank back up!! God bless you!

Still Learning said...

First, you are soooo not alone. Second, I vent on my blog all the time. It is how I keep my sanity. Better the blog than my family as I know bloggy ladies know how it is. Even if they don't vent I know I am forgiven when I do it. (I hope) Third, may I say that I wish my little one would make it to the potty. If this makes you feel better mine likes to rip of his diaper and pee on my hardwoods when I don't catch him. Oy Vey. What is it with men and the potty. When they are young you can't get them on it and when they are grown you can't get 'em off it? Sheesh.
I hope you make it through all your stuff with some peace left, haha. I try not to commit to much because with a 2 year old well, it's just not gonna happen.

Hope you have a great day,

Jennifer

Farmgirl Paints said...

May is crazy. I hear ya. And instead of doing all those things here I sit blogging:o I have become so addicted. Thank you for the beautiful scriptures. I needed that.

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Mayday!! :) I hear you...it is so hard to say "no" sometimes. :)

christy rose said...

Shanda,

You so made me laugh hard today! I needed it! May is so extremely full. And I completely understand needing grace, grace, grace about the littlest one discovering the toilet. Mine is still too little to use it but has discovered the enjoyment of playing with his toys in the water. ugh!!!

Christy

Gretchen said...

I think it's plenty okay to vent. And then, shoulders back, eyes up, and focus back on Him. At least that's what I'm telling myself. Hang in there, girlfriend, it's almost over. Yay for your little one, too!

joanofalltrades said...

Congrats on the potty training! I so needed that scripture today as I go through this "May-Year". It does seem like there is always something, but regardless of what that something is God's grace and mercy shines through.

Mama Nut said...

I totally agree with you! I know when I make time for some scripture study and pondering my days go so much better! Thanks for sharing!

Daveda said...

Hi Shanda! I nominated you for an award on my blog. Please stop by and check it out!

Pam D said...

May.. DAY? No. MayWEEK!! MayMONTH!! I am officially waving the white flag! (well, not really. It all DOES have to get done, doesn't it?). But something DOES have to give, and for me, it's time spent here. I won't post as often; I won't comment as often. But I know that God created us to be face to face, shoulder to shoulder, working together, so I don't think He minds. It's just ME who has to get over those thoughts of "no one will visit my blog if I slow down for a while". And then He says "WHO are you doing it for, anyway?" And I realize that if He wants people to follow my blog, then He'll make that happen. But first... He wants ME to follow Him.
Love you, dear friend!

penguinsandladybugs said...

Those are some great Scriptures. Sometimes I am surprised that verses are in there...I think "has that always been there?" LOL....thanks for sharing!

Dawn Jenkins said...

I hear ya...I was shoutin' Mayday from Jan-Mar of this year...I am not good at saying no. I finally took a "break" from Church-work, so I could find my FIRST LOVE again. Loved this post...it's funny, I actually wrote a quote from Francis Chan on my blog today about stress and worry!!!
p.s. I won't look at your potty if you don't look at mine- Ha!

Anonymous said...

Girl, all I gotta say is "Whoop whoop!"

And I love the verses you referenced; thank you for the important reminder to put time with the Savior first in my priorities!

Jennifer said...

What is it about MAY?? So busy and, goodness, so expensive! I always try to plan ahead but I always seem to "come up short"....oh well, not complaining! You are so right about my time with Jesus...has to be a priority! Thanks for the reminder!

Kathryn said...

"Whoop-whoop!" :-D

And, Amen. :-) Wonderful reminder to keep our focus on the Lord, asking Him to order our priorities according to His good will, purpose, and pleasure ... and then obediently following His schedule instead of our own!