Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Titus 2 Tuesday - Second Mothers

Photobucket



Write your own "Titus 2 Post" (linking back here somewhere within the body of your post) and enter your link below!


Today I wanted to share someone who was deeply impactful during my growing up years, Jan. She was the mother of my best friend (Heather) and our families were close. They welcomed me over at their house day or night and I often celebrated holidays (like Memorial Day, Labor Day, etc.) with their family. As I reflect though, two things stand out in my memory.

1. I knew Jan loved me (through the ups and downs of those formative years)

2. She used her kitchen amazingly during our teen years.

What teen doesn't want to cook fun things over at someone elses house? :) While canning vegetables was hated in my own home; I was happy to freeze blueberries over at Jan's house! (Gotta love teenagers!)

She was a wonderful cook and our families cooked many things differently so I enjoyed making dinners, desserts, the renowned family rolls, etc. Not only did I learn a lot about cooking (and enjoyed eating!); but Jan made the most of those late night talks. We discussed many things over the years: Spiritual issues, home and family, boys, life dreams and goals. She invited me to put my views and ideas on the table. She may not always agree with me (and said so), but I knew she spoke in love and wanted the best for my life. Many a night ended after midnight with the sink full of dishes. Those times were invaluable to me in the formation of my own beliefs, thoughts and life desires. While I am sure her main desire was conversing and engaging her own two daughers, she opened her home and heart to me and I will be forever grateful.

Now, as a mother myself, it is my desire to invite my children's friends over with open heart (and refrigerator!) I beleive it begins even now in these younger years as I open my kitchen to my own children and invite them to cook with me.

Thank you Jan. God used you and your family mightily in my life. Thank you for loving me and opening your home to me. I don't believe I will ever forget the Friday nights eating pizza and chips while watching, "The Princess Bride;" making Cream Puff Dessert, chicken with broccoli, and enjoying your laughter as we played games and talked while waiting for many a delicious morsel to cook in the oven. I love you.

What have you learned from another Christ following woman? ALL of us can learn something from one another. Join in and then go read these posts!
**Please write your "Titus 2 Post" linking back to this post first and then enter your link below.**


13 comments:

Dawn Jenkins said...

I LOVE, LOVE this idea. I am so glad I found your blog!!! Thanks for letting us join in!

Debbie said...

What a great tribute and a wonderful reminder to us on how to treat teenagers. Thanks.

Belinda said...

I loved this post and I am so excited to have started a Titus 2 post myself and have inspired other locals to do the same. You have started an awesome work..

HappyascanB said...

What a great tribute! I also have a second mother, my mom's best friend. Aren't they the greatest?

Sheryl said...

I love the idea of taking the time to reflect on how others have impacted our lives. In today's hurry up world, I'm glad you put out the stop light for me to slow down and appreciate those who are a part of me and who made me who I am.

Lora said...

We wrote on a similar theme today :0) Always love reading these...

Pam D said...

Hey sweet Shanda,
I'm sorry this link comes so late in the day. It's been a busy one, and I didn't want to rush what I had to say. I think you'll like it. As always, I LOVE your post; it may well inspire my NEXT Titus2 Tuesday! Blessings to you, my friend!

Rachel said...

What a beautiful tribute to someone who used the gift of hospitality and true friendship.

Wish we all had those women in our formative years. God bless!

Gretchen said...

Well...this is beautiful, Shanda.

I had Mrs. Regan while I was growing up. Not for as long (teen years) as you, but during my elem and jr high years. She always stood in the gap in any way she could for my single mom.

I have a feeling that your house will be noisy and busy before you know it. Kids know where they're welcome.

Jennifer said...

How wonderful God allowed such a wonderful role model in your life as a teen....sometimes a teen just needs to hear "it" from someone other than their mom. What a blessing!

Holly said...

I really like this idea too, I think everyone should have someone like Jan in their life. :)

Unknown said...

Hey, thanks for the salmon recipe you left over at my blog! That sounds yummy and we will DEFINITELY be trying it!

Judah said...

what a wonderful idea!!! you were above me in the comment list at SITS, so glad I stopped by to visit you