Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Titus 2 Tuesday - Be Real

Photobucket

What have learned from another woman this week? (or ever)

Write your own "Titus 2 Post" (linking back here somewhere within the body of your post) and enter your link below!



Today I will be sharing my friend, Kristen, with you. She is one of those naturally likable, cool, and real people that just make you want to spend more time with her. I met Kristen in MOPS. (Mothers of Preschoolers) She is a nurse by trade and just has the gift of holding any baby and having them be completely content to have her hold them. After I gave birth to my last son, it was almost a closure moment for me to bring him to MOPS and to have her hold him.

The thing that I learned from Kristen was the power of being real. She is one of those people who is attractive enough to make you slightly intimidated until you see her interact with someone else or she speaks to you. She diffuses that "female competition" thing that often happens by being humble, genuinely caring, and real. She could easily pull off the "I have it all together look;" but she chooses instead to be relatable, real and open.

She has spoken to our MOPS group a couple of times. The first time I remember her sharing with us, she said, "Going to marriage counseling is o.k.." The second time she shared about Post Partum Depression. While I wasn't struggling with either of those things in those moments; the mere fact that she was willing to stand up and be open about deeper topics resonated deep within me because I knew that was something God was speaking to my heart about and it was so refreshing to see someone doing it with beauty and grace. Being real doesn't mean that you have to share every, in depth, and ugly detail. It just simply means that you are willing to admit that you aren't perfect. You've walked paths of darkness and struggle, and you have embraced the fact that none of us are perfect; it is only by God's grace that we are walking at all.

She is easy to get to know and be around because you don't feel like you have to pretend to have it all together yourself. It is easy to open up and you feel safe asking questions that you may not have even asked your sister or mother about before because you know she's not going to judge you.

I absolutely LOVE the group VOTA's song, "Honestly." Here are a few of the lyrics...

"If you don't see the real me, you won't see what mercy's done


If you don't see my weakness you won't see what love has won.


If you don't see the distance from the darkness to the Son, you won't see. Honestly...


Let the light escape from these holes inside my soul,


When I start to break, then grace begins to flow


Let the light escape from this wounded place inside my soul... Honestly."


God has used Kristen in my life; along this path of mine to allow others to see my weaknesses. To allow them to see God's mercy, grace, and love through the holes inside of my own soul. It is my prayer today that she will inspire you to be a little more "real" today too...

I love you girl.

What have you learned from another Christ following woman? It can be something practical and simple that we can all use in our day to day lives or something deeper - ALL of us can learn something from one another. Join in and then go read these posts! **Please write your "Titus 2 Post" linking back to this post first and then enter your link below.**










22 comments:

Cyndi - So Much More Than A Mom said...

Great post! People like your friend, who aren't afraid to be real inspire me everyday. I strive to always be real, and it isn't easy for me. Having said that, whenever I am, I feel better, form more meaningful relationships and meet people I never would have before.

Life, Love And Lola said...

Nothing beats being "REAL." It's the only was to be! Stopping by from SITS. Have a fabulous day!

Pam D said...

That was awesome! You are surrounded by a host of wonderful, Godly women... that is a true treasure that cannot be bought. Not even Bill Gates has the kind of money it would take. And YOU are a blessing to me.. I love that! hugs...

Glenda, saved by grace said...

I love the type of person you described. Its not that she's airing her dirty laundry, its that she's sharing that she has hurdles to get over, which shows that God has gotten her through , which is encouraging to others who might be going through the same or similar thing. I can't stand prideful people who act like their lives are perfect!
Get REAL people.
Great post!

MJW said...

That's awesome that you have someone in your life who is real and not afraid to open up! I love those types of people. Great post!

Gretchen said...

Kristen sounds like a gem, and I'm glad God brought you together. Don't we all need a Kristen in our lives? I know just what you mean about the "female competition". Hanging up my sneakers on that one, for it's a race I was never meant to win--takes my eyes off the prize.

HappyascanB said...

I love your post! And I love real people! I am participating for the first time! Fun!

Helene said...

This was a great post!! I'm glad you have such a good friend in your life who has made such a huge impact! I love my MOPS group too...I've learned so much from those wise women!!!

Sorry I missed your SITS day yesterday...congratulations!!!!

Anonymous said...

I love real people! And I really like the words to that song - thank you for writing them out.

I am Harriet said...

How cute!
Stopping by from SITS to say hello :)

Maddy said...

I'm not actually participating but I just wanted to let you know how inspiring this is [nipped across from Rhema]
Best wishes

Belinda said...

Thanks for keeping it real. We all have struggles and hurts. I am really inspired to do my own Titus 2 post next week, thanks for the idea, it is really going to be a blessing to me.

Swizz said...

Saw you on SITS...

It's always nice to find someone else that is "real"...that will share the reality of their life with you and the honesty of yours, too. Who you don't feel you have to hide anything from, mince words with, or wipe the tear away so they won't notice how "emotional" you can be.

Blessings to you and your blog! I hope many of the readers from SITS continue to follow and read. I know I will!

jubilee said...

Great post and love those lyrics!

Charmaine said...

Hey Shanda, thanks for taking the time to come and visit me. You must have spent hours doing that! I just wanted to see if when you're done with your curriculum for the girls at your church if you would mind sending some or all of it my way, I would love to see what you've done and possibly use some of it too (if you don't mind, and I would give you full credit!). And if you need any help with any of it, let me know, I would be more than happy to give any thoughts or feedback! Thanks,
Charmaine

Chrissy Vincenitti said...

I love your Titus 2 Tuesdays! I am a blog stalker! ;)
I am not sure if you have seen this blog, but this girl needs all our prayers and support. Thought I would pass it along to a fellow sister!.....
www.littleoneapril.blogspot.com

Jill from Killeny Glen said...

"Keepin it REAL" is just too important in forming TRUE friendships...I like Kristen and her approach to others!

Jennifer said...

What a special friend - Kristen. Being real is something I really struggle with - I just want to please everyone and sort of "adjust" to be pleasing...sometimes I think "Will the real Jennifer please stand up?" (you are probably way to young to remember that old tv show!?!) What a blessing transparent friends are....

Lora said...

I'm finally back this week :0)

Being "real" is such a wonderful thing...and we find so few people who are these days. I think that's why I'm so drawn to those who are.

Thanks for sharing!

Heather @ Simple Wives said...

I found your blog through SITS! Love it! :)

joanofalltrades said...

Don't cha just love real people who are not pretentious? Kristen sounds like a great person to be around. God puts people in our lives for a reason, a season, or a lifetime. It's people like Kristen who you hope will hang around for a lifetime.

Debbie said...

I love an honest, real friend. They are true gifts, aren't they?