Sunday, July 27, 2008

Aluminum Sculptures and Toby Mac

"...Dare to believe your children are creative, innovative kids who can
create instead of idly recreate." (Mary Demuth)

How do I believe this of my children and stimulate it within them when I am literally one of the least "creative" people that I know? I am thrilled when I can actually "recreate" something. Thankfully, my husband's family is, by far, the most creative group of people that I have ever met. (My children may turn out well-rounded after all!) I often feel guilty when other moms share how they did this or that with their kids. Stuff I've never thought to do or cringe when I think of the mess it will create.

Yesterday, during the rain, my kids and I watched, "Meet the Robinsons." Later on when I was making dinner, I felt God asking me to be willing to stretch my comfort level with this concept of creativity. To challenge my children and myself to explore this innovative and creative part of us that He has created within us. After-all, If He, the God of the universe, is the author of creativity and has made me in His image, shouldn't I have at least a little of His creative juices? Why is it that I believe this of myself, that "I am just not creative?"

As I covered the chicken, I was inspired. I pulled off a piece of aluminum foil for each of us, set up a snack and called the kids. They were thrilled with the idea to "create" something. We began simply, a ball, a snake, a "snack carrier," then we moved on to a canoe, seats, and a mini-man with a fishing pole. It was then that the "breakthroughs" began with new and unique hats, outer space vehicles, and other abstract items. It became a bit like cloud watching outside on a summer day. Where each person "sees" something different and unique, but we can each appreciate what the other saw. It wasn't as difficult as I thought it might be.

In the midst of our "creating" my daughter began to sing the song, "I'm For You" by Toby Mac. We decided to carry the creativity into the other room where we could play the song on You Tube. An aluminum foil guitar was created and they jammed out adorned by several of their creations. (Check the photos out :) ) "I will praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Your works are wonderful, I know that full well!" Psalm 139:14

"Whatever I gotta be
I'll be for you
I'm for you
If you never knew
If you never knew
I'm for you
You know it's true"
(chorus of "I'm For You" by Toby Mac)

God is willing and able to be "whatever" we need for Him to be. Are we willing to be "whatever" He needs us to be for Him?

No comments: