Friday, October 3, 2008

Please Don't Send Me to Africa!

When I was a teenager, I remember a song called the title of my post today. A missionary had played it before he began a message about total surrender to Christ and how we have a tendency to place a few "stipulations" to our surrendering to God's will over our own. I found a great video on You Tube where the song is played to photos of missionaries in Africa (however I do not know this particular missionary family.) "Please Don't Send Me to Africa"

At the onset of my collegiate days, I enrolled as a "Missions Major." However, I was quickly informed that it was better for a female to major in something that builds a "skill" to offer in case I did not marry. (Somewhat indicative of the college I attended...) That left two options: nursing or teaching. I opted for teaching. However, during my college years, God opened my eyes to see that there is just as great of a mission field right here in the U.S.A. as abroad. I also realized that my heart tends to be less evangelic than helping Christians gain a deeper walk with the Lord. Thus, the never actually going to Africa.

I have posted recently about my wonderful step mother, Beth. Check out my post, "The Widow's Might", if you are just joining me on my blog to learn more. She is now in New Guinea and beginning the work that the Lord has placed in her heart. Would you join me in praying for this powerful ministry that is about to begin with the Madak people? These people have NEVER heard about Jesus Christ. They have not heard the message of salvation. The missionaries in the field there in Kavieng have been working to translate the Bible into the Madak language for several years now. They have built relationships with these people. "For such a time as this..."

In Beth's latest e-mail to me she requested that we would pray specifically for protection and health for the missionaries and their families. One, Chris, has a large boil on his leg that is preventing him from being able to walk the paths in the village. Sharon has just recently learned that her father is struggling with cancer. Karl is working to complete more lessons. And Beth is recovering from strep throat. Please also pray for Maribeth and their three children. They are still determining the best location to do the teaching - they need wisdom and favor with the Madak people to be in the right place at the right time.

In the "Believing God" Bible Study that I am currently doing, Beth Moore stated that "you can believe that the enemy is sitting on the territory that the Lord is about to give you." He most definitely is encamped with the Madak people and has been for generations upon generations. But that means nothing when it is the territory that the Lord is giving to His people. The missionaries in Kavieng need brothers and sisters in Christ to draw their swords and raise their shields beside them in these trenches of Spiritual battle.

I would love to be able to send them some prayers written out that you are praying for them or Scriptures that would be encouraging or equipping. I know it would bless them so very much. You can either click the "comment" section below this post or send me an e-mail with your prayers and encouragements and I will pass them on. Thank you!
Many Blessings!

1 comment:

Daveda said...

Hey Shanda, I don't know the exact scripture reference right this second but as I read through your post I was reminded of the reactions the spies had when they were scoping out The Promised Land. Some, most, saw the giants, and only two believed in the power of the Lord to overcome anything that might stand in their way. When we face battles I believe we have to face them from a place of already being victorious instead of from a place of trying to get victory. Does that make sense? Anyway, thats my thought for you. Love ya, Daveda