Tuesday, August 26, 2008

I Can See Clearly Now

My two oldest started back to school last week. Since then it has become obvious that we are going to be investing in eye glasses very soon! Why is it that when you are experiencing something new or somewhat stressful that everything about that subject jumps out to you?

My husband and I were talking about that last night and he mentioned that he has been experiencing the same thing. He had heard a man on the radio that afternoon talking about losing his vision and how it has impacted his Christianity. Now that the man is unable to read the Bible with the ease that he once could, he relies heavily on the Scriptures that he has memorized in the past. He meditates on the words that he has committed to memory. He could quote the book of John verbatim before he was blind, but he hadn't really ever meditated on the Scripture and let it impact his heart. So now, for hours, he will sit and recall memorized Scripture and that is how he draws comfort and has deepened his relationship in Christ with his Spiritual eyes instead of his physical ones.

I was personally convicted when my husband was telling me this story...would I have enough Scripture committed to memory if I was ever unable to read the Bible? It gave me a new perspective on Psalm 119:11. "Thy Word have I hid in my heart that I might not sin against thee." David did not have access to God's word as we do. He couldn't just pull out a pocket New Testament while he was fleeing for his life from King Saul or when he was on the battlefront. I have a renewed "vision" of the importance of hiding God's word in my heart and also a reminder of how blessed we are that we have God's word so readily available to us.
Many Blessings!

No comments: