Monday, January 26, 2009

Marital Moments Issue 19 - Praying Scripture Over Your Spouse

I have literally written three posts while trying to write this one. My words simply aren't doing this concept justice so I am choosing to go with a more direct route. Less of my words; more of His.

Praying for our spouses is a blessing to both of us. A few reasons for this is that: It is not easy to remain upset with someone for whom you are praying. When we pray for another person we are joining with them into their struggles, desires, hopes and dreams. Our prayers have the power to move the hand of God upon our spouses lives.

Praying Scripture helps us to pray "according to His will." Here are a few examples of Scriptures that I pray over my own husband. I encourage you to find (ask God to lead you to) at least one Scripture that you can begin to pray over your spouse.

Luke 2:52 "And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature and favor with God and man." (NIV)

When I pray this passage over my husband, it is something like this: (Each verse will be listed in orange; my prayers for my spouse will follow in red.)

"I pray that you would allow ___________(my husband) to grow in wisdom and stature and to have favor with you, God, and also with the men that surround his life."

Psalm 37:23 "If the Lord delights in a man's way, He makes his steps firm." (NIV)

"Father, I pray that you would be at work in my husband's heart and allow his ways to delight you. I pray that you would allow his steps to be clearly laid out and firm."

Psalm 121:7-8 "The Lord will keep you from all harm-He will watch over your life; the Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forever more."

"Lord, I thank you that you will keep my husband from all harm. That you will watch over his coming and going both now and always."


Those are a few examples to show you just how simple it really is. I will often go to the concordance in my Bible or you can even go on line and search "Scriptures on..." to pray specifically depending on what is going on at the time. If you know your spouse is struggling with something: fear, loss/grieving, temptation in an area, etc., you can look up Scriptures on those topics and choose a few to claim in prayer and thanksgiving on behalf of your spouse (yourself, your children, friends, etc.)

There is amazing power in prayer. I pray that as you pray Scriptures over your spouse that your marriage would increase deeply in value and quality. Stormie Omartian has an amazing book, "Power of a Praying Wife" that I would highly recommend if you are just getting started in this area.

I'd love to hear some of your favorite Scriptures to pray for your spouse. If you are just trying this for the first time; I'd love to hear what Scripture the Lord has led you to begin praying for your spouse.

Blessings & Peace to you today!

Shanda




5 comments:

Kathryn said...

Shanda, this is a wonderful reminder of the power of prayer. I do not have one particular Scripture that I pray for Chris, but I am praying for him throughout each day. You've encouraged me to pray for him even more!

(Missed you this morning!) :-)

Anonymous said...

Shanda, my Bible study is doing "Power of A Praying Wife." I've done it a couple times before, but every time I do, it's like new. I pray Scriptures over my daughters, but your post made me realize that I don't specifically do that for my husband! To start, I'm going to borrow your idea on Luke 2:52. I really appreciate your Martial Moments - I ALWAYS take something away from it. Thank you!

Janice said...

Thank you for this post. It is a good reminder of what I should be doing for my husband.

Gretchen said...

Shanda, what a wonderful idea to pray scripture over one's spouse. Especially for me, since my spouse is not a believer. You would think this would be an obvious thing for a woman of faith to do, but it isn't always, so I thank you. I pray over him, but using the Word--that's powerful.

I love the gentle, Proverbs 31ish feel to your blog.

Eden Pratt said...

Thank you so much. My husband and I have been married for almost 11 years and are getting a second chance at it. It seems like we are newlyweds. I'm not the same Keeshea he married in 2001. I'm a mew creature and am striving to be the wife God called for me to be. I never really prayed for him before. But it feels so good to know that God chose me to be his encouragement & pep squad. What
You osted today has really helped me.
Blessings,
Kpratt