Saturday, September 27, 2008

I'm All In!

I want to begin today by encouraging you to go see the movie, Fireproof, if you have not already. It is both powerful and humorous. You will not regret going. Now onto today's post...

Very few things in life are worthy of us pouring ourselves into wholeheartedly. Some are noble but require only a portion of who we are. If I were to make a list of all that I consider important, I would note my marriage, family, ministry, friends...among other things. But the one area that requires all of me and is truly above all else is my relationship with Jesus Christ.

Back in June, I decided that I am ready. Ready to be "all in" with what God has for my life. Ready to move past whatever it is that is holding me back. To cross that threshold of anticipation for what I have felt that God has been preparing me for. Now, I am not a new believer. I have been a follower of Christ for almost 20 years. I have been on fire for Christ. I have felt distant from Him. I have walked in freedom and in power, and I have cried until there were no more tears and wondered where He was. There have been beginnings and endings to powerful areas of ministry that He has used me to be a part of. I have lived the "seasons of Christianity" as some call it. And just as sure as the seasons change in our natural world and we replace our favorite thong sandals with a heavier shoe, our walk with the Lord changes as well.

God, Himself, never changes. Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and for ever. Hebrews 13:8 It is we, his children, that experience the change. It is brought about as our physical lives change, our faith is questioned in new ways, as we are exposed to others who are walking with the Lord in ways we have never imagined, and as we are taken to new heights and depths. For most people, change is not desired or easy. But growth takes change.

It has been about four months since I renewed my "all in!" status with the Lord. I was trying to figure out what season it is that I am now in. It seems like possibly summer or the beginning of fall now...Spiritual seasons don't always match the physical. But one thing that holds true through all seasons is that when we choose to seek Him, He is found. "But from there you will seek the LORD your God, and you will find Him if you search for Him with all your heart and all your soul. Deut. 4:29

Seasonal Blessings!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the encouragement today. I have to admit that that is exactly how I have felt lately. In my pride, I almost didn't comment...because that would be admitting something.

Then I was listening to the Big Daddy Weave Song "What Life Would Be Like" and along with your encouragement of being "all in" - it hit me. I have been "mostly in" and I know that I "let Jesus live through me"...but how could "Jesus live through me" if I was "all in?" I need it. My husband needs. My kids need it. (for me to be "all in")

All that to say thanks for your encouragement. My new plan is to seek the Lord with ALL of my heart and soul.

Shanda said...

Heather, I am so excited for you! God holds amazing things for your life and has just been waiting for you to be "all in!" I love Big Daddy Weave's "What Life Would Be Like." Your comment made me find it on You Tube and listen to it again. Music is so powerful! Blessings! Shanda